CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, September 27, 2010

Time for Carson's IEP Re-evaluation


It's time for Carson to be re-evaluated for his IEP (individualized education plan), which by law has to be done every 3 years. I have been extremely anxious about this whole thing for a number of reasons.

1) As much as I would love for Carson to not have an IEP, my gut tells me he still needs one. He is coming from a special ed preschool classroom with about 20 students, 2 teachers and 4 para educators to a Kindergarten classroom with 20 students, 1 teacher and 1 special education teacher available (not in the classroom all the time). This makes me very nervous...nervous for how my little boy is going to do in this environment. Is it too much for him? Can he hold himself together AND still learn?? Of course his requalification time is by his 6th birthday (in October) and he's been in the classroom for all of about 1 month...and this is all of the observation time they have had to make decisions on whether he qualifies or not? I'm sure he's just getting warmed up with the teacher, the routine and the expectations....and hasn't begun to show his true colors yet! How is he going to handle himself when the work gets tougher?? or when the classroom becomes too overstimulating for him?? or when he can't sit still in his chair??

2) I just went through a big battle with the school district last year to get Logan qualified for preschool and to be honest with you, it took a lot out of me! I was ready to take them to court over the issue and to be honest, I don't want to have to fight that hard every time there is a battle (or re-qualification).

3) School is only going to get harder, don't boot him out of having help now! And, he is only in 1/2 day Kindergarten and requiring 2 1/2 to 3 hours of nap every afternoon. What's life in his world going to be like when he's in 1st grade and isn't able to take a nap?? YIKES!! Wanna see some behavior, wait til then!

So, having had all of these worries going into my day today, Carson had an appointment today at the Autism Center at Children's Hospital today (and many, many thank you's to my friend Mary who watched Logan so I wouldn't have to take both boys with me!) and I was asking the doctor about the IEP requalification process. Carson was given a diagnosis of PDD-NOS (pervasive developmental disorder...on the autism spectrum) and ADHD about 1 1/2 years ago. Did we have to reprove our diagnosis again when it is IEP requalification time? She said that when you are given such a diagnosis, it goes with you for life (it might impact you differently throughout life, but it's still their diagnosis)...you don't have to prove it again! Ahhh, sigh of relief from me! See, with a PDD diagnosis, you automatically qualify for an IEP...Ahhh, another sigh of relief!

As luck would have it I also got a phonecall from the school psychologist. After asking a lot of questions about what's involved in this "re-qualification", it sounds like they are preliminarily (nothing's for sure til I see it in writing) wanting to continue to serve Carson with an IEP...Ahhh, yes another sigh of relief! They just need to figure out how best to serve him, which would be the purpose of the testing and observations that will take place in the coming weeks.

I sure don't need an BS'ing on this stuff. I just want them to be straight shooters and give my son the help he needs and deserves!

So, having started my day with a lot of anxieties about this process, I have some relief that it will all work out! Will update more as it occurs...

No comments: