CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

It's been a busy week for us!

Well, as many of you know, my hubby is out of town...AGAIN! Argh!! Despite the hardship of playing the single parent role, I am getting pretty good at doing it on my own! Good thing...don't have much choice!

When I really miss daddy not being here is nights like Monday night when I had to take Carson to the ER. Carson was in his room having a 'cooling off' period when he decided to take the floor heating vent cover off, among other things. He then promptly managed to 'fall' into the duct hole and sliced his foot open on the metal ducting inside! Sounds like fun, huh? Well...you should have heard his screaming (of agony, of course)! Looking back at the incident, I DO see some amusement in it NOW!

You see, Carson had recently figured out how to 'get out of his room' when he was supposed to be cooling off. What Carson didn't realize was that that very day, I decided I had enough of it...and I found a new way to contain him. As I have previously written, Carson has become an escape artist!...out through his bedroom window AND through his bedroom door. Let's just say that those options were no longer an option for him...and he was PISSED at mom! At one point, I went down the hall to listen if Carson had cooled his jets and discovered that that little rascal BEAT ME! He figured out how to open his NEW door lock! (Oh well Hartley...despite my best intentions, it was busted within 10 minutes...impressive, really!) He is one smart cookie, I will hand him that! So, I opened his door and poked my head in and said, "I came to see if you have decided to listen to mommy!" He gave me this growly look in response along with "I'm angry, mom! Very, very angry! I figured out that doorlock, mom and why did you put a lock on the window? I'm angry! I need you to leave me ALONE!" I immediately turned around, exited the room and shut his door behind me! I had to do it quickly actually...cause I was going to laugh my head off! You should have seen him! Poor guy, he really was mad at me, but he's got to be able to get himself together in a safe manner! Unfortunately, this has been the only option that we have found works for him.

I digress...so, eventually I made it back into his room (with his approval) to talk to him about why I did what I did. I noticed that the heating vent cover had been removed (which both of my boys have commonly done in the past). I didn't think much about it. The vent is directly underneath his window. I went over to the window to show Carson that he could open the window a little bit (to get some air), but not enough to be able to allow my escape artist out! He walked over to the window and THUMP...there he went...down the hole! Darn it...I guess it's all my fault!

So, why do these things always happen when daddy is out of town??? Have you ever had to take a wounded 4 year old (that needs to be carried 'cause he's got a gaping foot wound) AND a non-wounded 2 year old (who will want you to hold him 'cause brother's getting all of mom's attention) to an ER??? Not something that I wanted to do! So, bless my beloved friend Dawn...once I finally got a hold of her, I pretty much invited Logan over to sleep at her house...announcing that we'd be there in a few moments! Thank goodness she loves me, 'cause I didn't give her an opportunity to say "NO!" So, off we go to the ER (around 7:30pm)! Do you have any guesses as to when we finally returned home? 1 AM! LOVELY! Like poor Carson doesn't already have enough behavior issues to begin with...now I add to it all by keeping him up half the night!

Thank God for Mary Bridge Children's Hospital...they made my job EASY! Yes, we did have to wait (for forever, it seemed), but they had video games in the waiting room (which Carson just ate up!) and DVD players in the patient rooms (can we say "LION KING?") Hip hip HOORAY! Carson is perfectly content, eating snacks, staying up way past his bedtime, etc.,....UNTIL the ER physician walks in! I told you, Carson's a smart, smart boy! But, I have to hand it to the ER doc...even I was laughing hysterically! He made light of the situation by having his entourage following behind him (yep...two others to help hold Carson down! Hmmmm...I wonder where they got the idea that Carson was going to be a difficult patient???? Why do you think I brought him there? Do you think that Carson was going to let ME clean his wound? I think you are beginning to see the picture here!)

Believe it or not, Carson required NO stitches, wound adhesive or anything! He just needed a good cleaning. Despite everything...I'm still glad I took him to the ER. I can't imagine what it would be like if he got his foot infected! ARGH!!!

So, needless to say, I kept Carson at home the next day. He was in a foul mood and no one needed to deal with it but good 'ole mom! Daycare was highly appreciative of that! Bless them...they don't need additional stressors...my well rested Carson already provides enough of that for them! LOL :)

Sorry this is such a long posting. I just have so much to share! I just have a couple more things to share and then I'll sign off for the night! (it's WAY past my bedtime...that's for sure!)

On Saturday, I took the boys to their FIRST movie at a movie theater. I went with my good 'ole friend Dawn (and her two boys Ben and Owen...ages same as Carson and Logan). While we were there, I ran into several people I knew which always makes an adventure even more adventuresome!

I also met a new friend (Flo) there...someone that I met on The Sensory Planet (see the advertisement on the right hand side of this blog). Come to find out, Carson and Bobby (her son) already knew each other! How cute is that? My 4 year old already knew Flo's son! They go to the same developmental preschool together! It was very cute to see them so excited to see each other!

I also saw a pharmacist colleague of mine there! We went to pharmacy together at WSU and I had no idea he lived in Kent. WOW...it's a small world, huh?

The boys did so amazingly well at the theater! They loved watching the movie...and of course eating their popcorn (Carson pretty much polished off a huge bag all by himself). BTW...that was a $13 bag of popcorn, since I have recently discovered that the theater had charged me DOUBLE for popcorn! LOVELY! Oh well...it's just money, right?

The movie event was specifically designed to be 'Sensory Friendly', meaning that the lights did not go completely out, the 'silence is golden rule' is OUT and kids can feel free to run around the theater if they needed to (which they did do!). I had an AHA moment when I was there and became thankful for the fact that 'other families' have more difficult children than mine. Don't get me wrong...we have our issues...it just put things in better perspective for me!

Here are some photos I took of the boys while at the movie theater.


Mommy and Logan



My friend Dawn with Ben (4 years old) and Owen (2 years old)



Carson with his friend, Bobby!



Look at that focus! Man, is there anything that a big bag of popcorn won't help with?



Post movie photo opportunity! We are getting ready to head to the park to work off some pent up energy!

Daddy...please come home! We miss you!!

Keep yourself posted! In upcoming blog editions will be:
1) My highlights of our daycare meeting to discuss our summer plans for helping Carson be successful at daycare!
2) The ending of a very rooten day of work...my boys put a smile on my face with a puppet show! (complete with VIDEO footage!)

Take care...I know I will!

1 comment:

Dawn Finlayson said...

I'm a celebrity in the Kari George blog! I love it! As you know, we had an awesome time at the movies, too. And Logan was a dream to have over on Monday night. I was happy to help! Life is so much better with good friends. ....anxiously awaiting the video of the puppet show!