CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mission Accomplished!

I have been wanting to get both boys a weighted blanket for some time now. I have looked at websites that sell them and they can be pretty spendy. I have difficulty spending so much money on a product that I know I could make myself...if I just set aside some time in my busy week to get it done. About a month ago, I had purchased all the materials necessary to make the blankets. Finally, this past Sunday, I decided I would be brave (or stupid as some might see it) and get out my sewing machine and sew the blankets...while also taking care of the boys (since daddy was out of town this week)!

Normally, I keep my sewing machine in the sewing/craft/computer room. However, with two small boys on my tail, I find it difficult to actually be by myself to complete a project in solitude. I also get tired of only doing projects like this when the boys are not around. At some point, they will need to learn that mommy needs to do "other things" besides "things that they want to do!" Can that truly be possible? Well, I finally set my mind to the fact that I wanted to spend my free time (time without the boys on my tail) doing stuff for me and that if I was going to finish this project, I just needed to get 'er done!

I started with Logan's blanket (primary colored dinosaur flannel and bright red flannel on the other side) and had it done by lunch. While the boys were napping, I started Carson's blanket (zoo animal flannel with bright blue flannel on the other side) and had his completed by dinner! Not bad for a hard day's work! My house was trashed and my kids watched a lot of movies...but the blankets are DONE!

For those of you who might be interested in how I constructed the blanket, they both went together quite nicely. I started by making a pillow case construction (with muslim fabric sandwiched in between the flannel), then sewed a 3 inch border around 3of the edges. Then I sewed vertical lines down the entire blanket. I planned on splitting 9 pounds of 'poly pellets' between the two blankets. (The poly pellets are what provided the weight for the blanket...better than beans, cause I am now able to wash this blanket when it needs it.) So, I had to do a bit of math to calculate how much pellets needed to go into each pocket. I poured "x ounces" into each vertical column, then sewed horizontal rows to seal in the pellets. I then proceeded with another row and onwards until the last row was done. Each quilt weighs about 6 1/2 pounds a piece! (Normal weight is calculated as 10% of child's body weight + 1 pound. That would be about 5 pounds for my boys, but I wasn't going to make another one in a year when they outgrew it!) WOW...that's pretty heavy! So, here's what they look like!





Carson and Logan both instantly fell in love with them. They both love the heavy weight on top of their bodies and it helps them to feel "more in sync!"

When I put Carson's blanket on top of him, he said "Mom, that's a very heavy blanket!" "Yep," I said, "does it make your body feel good?" "Yay mom!" "Cool!"

You might be wondering why I would make a weighted blanket. So, I thought I'd share an explanation with you from "www.thehugshack.com":

The Calming Power Of The Magic Blanket (a weighted blanket)

Recent studies have shown that deep pressure touch, the type of
proprioceptive input generated from a weighted blanket, releases
serotonin in the brain. This is a neurotransmitter that creates a feeling of
calm within our nervous system.

Depression, Anxiety, Aggression, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD),
and Bipolar Disorder all have a common link: low serotonin levels.

The deep pressure -- proprioceptive input -- generated from the Magic
Blanket signals the brain to release serotonin, which in turn naturally
calms and relaxes the body, promoting sleep and stress relief. This effect
has already had tremendous success helping to calm children and adults
with sensory integration disorder, autism, Rett Syndrome, Asperger's
Syndrome, ADHD, and Restless Leg Syndrome.

To find out more about how proprioceptive input and a weighted blanket
can calm and comfort, please talk to an occupational therapist.

3 comments:

Dawn Finlayson said...

Very Cool!

Rachael said...

I've really got to make one for Carver!! You inspire me!

Anonymous said...

Good job! You should be proud of yourself. I know you have wanted to do these for awhile. Mom