CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Amazing stories!


Lately I have really been concentrating on "slowing down!" This has really been an invigorating process for me and I am LOVING it! So, with slowing down also comes "listening" more! Yep, it's almost analagous to stopping to smell the roses...I have been stopping to listen to my boys and try to figure out truly what they are saying!

I had a meeting yesterday morning with my "SPD mom's support group" (that's another fascinating story in and of itself!) and when I returned home I noticed that there were a bunch of open jelly jars in the front yard. Trying to keep myself from immediately getting angry with the boys, I "slowed down" and started investigating and asking questions. What I discovered is that I have a very smart and intelligent Carson!

"Where did you get the jars of jelly?"

"In the pantry?"

"Oh, can you show me where?"

"Sure...let's go mom!" (as we are walking to the pantry)

"OH NO, did you open all of mommy's jars of jelly?" (these had been all handmade by either my mom or other friends and family...not something mommy likes to see wasted...ARGH!)

"YEP!"

"Why?"

"'cause the bees like them!"

...hmmm, thinking to myself, he's onto something..."You are right Carson! Why do the bees like them?"

"'cause they like jelly!"

"You are one smart cookie, Carson!"

...smile on Carson's face that also includes the sparkle in his eyes! (which I just love, BTW!)

"You know Carson, when you come into mommy's pantry, I don't mind if you want something, but mommy expects for you to ask before you take something?"

"OK mom!"

SCORE...mommy didn't get angry and I think Carson actually learned something (as well as mommy! Gotta love those moments!

ANOTHER STORY:
Carson starts talking about some sort of flagpole. I have no idea what he is referring to. Well, come to find out, daddy gave the boys a super long piece of wood that they could use to to put in the ground in the front yard..."a flagpole!"

"Carson, what are you looking for?"

"A shovel?"

"What for?"

"To put my flagpole in the ground"

"Cool! What is a flagpole for?"

"Well, mom...when you put the flagpole in the ground, it tells you which way the wind is blowing!"

"Oh Really?" (with my mouth dropped to the floor! I had no idea he even knew that!) "You are one smart boy Carson!"

...again, big huge smile on Carson's face, a sparkle in his eyes and a proud stance (standing tall and shoulders/head held high!)

Just amazing...really amazing!

ANOTHER STORY
So, we have really been working on teaching Carson how to regulate his own body! This comes more easily to typically developing kidos, but for Carson, an SPD kido, this is very very very difficult. He can be easily pushed over the edge and COMPLETELY lose it! When he does this, his body and mind is in no frame of mind to be learning! All he needs to do at this time is to get his body under control. For Carson, this involves being in his room...ALL BY HIMSELF! Once he gets himself together (which can easily take 15-20 minutes, sometimes longer), then he is in a state of mind for the learning to begin.

So, yesterday he had an episode when "he lost it"...off we go to Carson's room! After he settled down, I went into his room and was surprised as to what I found! He had used his time very constructively...I mean this literally! He had taken his mattress from his bed and moved it, bent it, put blankets all over it and down the side...and made himself a tent! WOW, Carson! What Carson was doing was "regulating his body!" He was doing "heavy work" by lifting and moving his mattress...and he was finding a safe space that made his body feel better! This is very common for Carson! He has been known to sleep in boxes and in many other "tight quarters!" This is sensory integration at it's highest form! Tight spaces and heavy proprioceptive work is what makes Carson's body "feel" better! Good for you, Carson!

While I was also in Carson's room, I noticed that he also had calming music playing in him music player. He has a couple of CDs that he knows how to interchange. He had chosen the CD that was calming to him! Yet again, another sensory integration strategy for Carson! Calming music does wonders! Have you ever tried it when you are all worked up? I have, and I love it also! I keep a couple of calming music CDs in the car for those "I've lost it" situations. Carson has been in the middle of a complete meltdown in his carseat (throwing things, yelling, screaming, hands/arms flailing, etc.,) and I have quickly turned on calming music (without saying anything to him). His response is immediate! He stops his fit and starts listening! It is playing very softly and he wants MORE! "More calming music," he says! EXCELLENT! He is again learning to regulate his body...AGAIN!

I digress...so easily! So, back to Carson's room...I am now able to talk with him about the situation that made him "lose it!" (can't even remember what it was!) In the past when I want to talk to Carson, he is wiggling all over, does the "limp noodle" body routine, won't look me in the eyes, etc., Is he really listening? I don't think so...his body isn't completely regulated. So, this time...I added some body regulation to our conversation! Carson really likes the "head down position!" He can literally put himself into a headstand! Again...body regulation! He "needs" this vestibular input in order to help him regulate his body! So, I had one of those "AHA moments" and thought "hmmm...I need to talk to Carson right now. I wonder what would happen if I put a pillow up against the wall and have Carson go into a headstand while I talk to him?" Guess what? IT WORKED! We were actually able to have an intelligent conversation about the situation. Carson even gave me alternatives that he could use the next time when that situation comes about again! Isn't that just fascinating? Again...sensory integration at it's best!

ANOTHER STORY



I have also been working on making our home routines easier. I have discovered over time that Carson responds best by using the clock to set our routines. We put velcro pictures in different spots around the clock and this tells Carson when he is supposed to do something (he watches the big hand of the clock). It is AMAZING to see how this works so well for him. We set the routine for that hour together. When the big hand gets to the picture, it's time to do that activity. I have been religiously using this process...and the results are AMAZING! Without the clock, Carson completely melts down with EVERY transition between activities. With the clock, Carson knows what is expected and he EASILY transitions between activities! He has even had to stop watching a Curious George episode right in the middle 'cause that's what the clock says and he DOES NOT MELT DOWN! Amazing, huh? You see, SPD kidos NEED routine! As a matter of fact, not only do they NEED routine...they THRIVE with routine! This routine provides Carson with the necessary structure to THRIVE! Gotta love that!

ONE LAST STORY

This one happened just as I was trying to type this blog entry! I had to put Carson in his room...yet again! When I went back to his room, he had opened his window (which has NO screen on it...who knows what Carson has done with it!) He apparently got out the window and "gathered a few supplies" for his time in his room! He found a couple pvc pipes and connectors from one of daddy's "uncleaned up" projects and was making......get this.....a telescope! Yep, a telescope! He told me that you use this part to look out of and this part is what you see out of...straight from the little boy's mouth! Check out the picture! I have one amazing boy, huh?



I feel that I already have my hands full (too full, actually) right now! I can only imagine what life is going to be like during Carson's teenage years! I can just see it now...the fire department and 911 will become very familiar with the George Family! We will surely be on their frequent flier list! Can anyone say, "This is totally Kelly's little boy?...he's got Kelly written ALL OVER HIM!" I love you Carson...and daddy too!

What have YOU done today to learn more about your child? I hope these stories help to inspire you to take your relationship with your child to the next level! They can honestly be our BEST teachers!

Have a fabulous weekend! I plan on it...off to finish our flagpole!

1 comment:

Dawn Finlayson said...

Love the blog stories, Kari! You're self reflection and analyzing your parenting skills are contagious. Because of you, I have been doing the same. I also need to slow down and really listen to my boys. We've been having a great weekend and am glad to see you have been, too. See you this afternoon at the party!